Saturday, March 7, 2009

Post Shoulder Surgery

Today is Saturday and I must say it was a gorgeous day! Sunshine in the mid sixties! The kids went outside and played. I stayed inside cleaning. What good that did! I get the floor swept and in comes Dusty and the neighbor kids with muddy shoes! I wash the dog, first chance she gets, she's outside rolling in the dirt! I clean the counters, the kids get ice cream and dribble that all over the counter and the table! Seriously, why even clean??? How do some people keep their houses always looking clean? I need the secret to that! So, now that the weather is nice, I will be spending a whole lot of time looking for my youngest son! He bebops around this neighborhood from house to house! Last night I thought he was in the park and sent Jordan out to get him. Nope, not there. So, I have Jordan get his shoes on so we can go find Dusty. I drive around and send Jordan up to the doors asking for him. We ended up finding him at my friend Kristy's who lives just on the other side of the park. So, we had a long talk with Dusty. Explaining that we love him very much and how bad it scares us when we can't find him. I told him I don't care if he plays out but he has to let me know where he is at all times. If he leaves one person's house, he has to come home and tell me where he's headed to next. Today was better, he checked in and let me know where he was going. I'm so hoping this continues! Or he will spending a lot of time in the house!
Anyway, guess I better explain the title to this post! Steve finally got his shoulder surgery on Thursday morning. They had to go in and scrape a bunch of calcium buildup and arthritis off of his shoulder. When they were in there, they also found a hole in his tendon. OUCH! No wonder he was always in pain! Poor Bry was so worried about her dad. Last surgery he had, he ended up with a 13cm abscess full of infection in his stomach after an appendectomy. He ended up in the hospital and came home with a drainage bag hanging out of his side! We got ready to leave and I thought she was going to cry. So I asked her if she wanted to give him a hug and she ran up to him and she just grabbed ahold of him and gave him the biggest hug of her life! She was very relieved to come home and see her daddy was okay! Of course at that time, he was feeling pretty good. The drugs from surgery hadn't worn off yet! He was thinking it wasn't such a big deal! Aside from the big inspector gadget looking sling he was wearing, he seemed fine. A little woozy maybe, but not hurting or anything. Until about 2:30 am and he woke up in PAIN! He has been feeling pretty rough ever since. He's rethinking getting his other shoulder done! He didn't realize just how much he uses his shoulder. I had to help him get a shower because he can't get his bandages wet. And he can't lift his arm, so I had to help him get his shirt on. Plus, he still has a pain pump sewn into his shoulder, so that also has to go through the sleeve of his shirt. Then, he went to tie his shoes and can't do that one handed either! He came in here freezing earlier. He wanted to put on a long sleeve shirt, but that's not an option with that pump, so I offered to let him use my fleece poncho that Aunt Tedi got me for Christmas. It kind of like a snuggie and it keeps you really warm! But he won't use it because he's afraid I'll take a picture of him and post it online! I promised him I wouldn't, but he refuses! He hates asking for help, so this has been hard on him. But I keep telling him once it's all over, he'll feel so much better! But for now, he's stuck with me as his nurse. Which I'll be honest, my nursing skills suck and I don't have the best bedside manner! I'm trying though, gotta give me credit for that! He said when it gets to hurting real bad, he reminds himself that it doesn't hurt near as bad as his stomach did with that infection! So, it's going to be a long couple of days! Keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment