Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Uncle Mark


Today started okay. Dusty was still sick, but I knew I had some things I had to get done at work, so I went in until 9:00. Attica had a 2 hour delay due to fog, so I came home and took Bryson and Jordan to school and Steve left for work. So, it was me and Dusty hanging out today. He was trying to sleep so I turned my phone down so he wouldn't get woke up. That is when I guess I missed a call from Lucinda, Uncle Mark's wife. I later talked to mom and while we were talking Aunt Elana came over. So mom and I hung up. Elana was going to mom's to tell her what Lucinda had called me about. Uncle Mark had a heart attack and died last night. It's amazing how one phone call can change everything. Here I was having a perfectly normal day, then I find this out. Those of you who knew Uncle Mark, knew how crazy he was! He had a rough life and maybe put his body through a lot. His partying eventually ruined his health. The man who once walked the Appalachian Trail and hitchhiked across the United States was now in such bad shape he had to walk with a cane and could barely get around. He had a couple of strokes and several heart attacks. But even with all that, he still kept plugging along. He was that guy that you just knew would live forever! Like his daughter said, it was like he was just too ornery to die. He was a fun guy. Dusty called him a "fart machine". Did I mention he used to LIGHT his farts? LOL! Because of him, I have always been known as "Boogies" in my family. Grandparents, aunts uncles, cousins, all called me Boogies! Thanks Uncle Mark! I knew his health wasn't good, but the phone call still shocked me. I am so thankful to Lucinda for taking care of him when his health was failing. I know it wasn't always easy. Uncle Mark could be a handful! I will miss our morning talks on my way to work. For awhile it was almost every morning! But I changed my phone plan and didn't have as many minutes, so I just couldn't talk with him as much as I had before. He was so excited when he called to tell me they got snow! I'm thinking "Big Whoop" because at that point I was over snow! LOL! But he was excited. The man could drive you crazy, but he could make you laugh all the same. I am happy he finally has some peace in his life and has gone to a better place. Boogies is going to miss her Uncle Mark...

No comments:

Post a Comment