Sunday, September 11, 2011


Shock, disbelief, ANGER, scared...So many emotions running through me as I sat on my couch talking to my Aunt Tedi as we both watched it unfold on TV. We were just trying to wrap our heads around what was happening. It was a vulnerability that I had never felt before. And for the first time as a mom, I was truly afraid for the future of my children, then 7,4 and 1. I knew at that moment that our nation would never be the same. I worried for my brother who was in the military at the time. Would he have to go to war? I had already lost one brother, I couldn't lose another. Very scary times indeed!

For days we watched the footage on TV. I tried to explain to Bryson, the boys were too young. But how do you explain such evil to a 7 year old? How do you explain that there were men that hated the United States so much that they were willing to give their lives to attack us? I couldn't even wrap my own head around it! I couldn't imagine being a loved one and wondering if your loved one would be found alive. Or even found at all. I couldn't imagine the fear of the people on the planes. Some as they made desperate phone calls home so they could talk to loved ones one last time. Or the heroes that tried to fight back against the hijackers. I couldn't imagine the people running through the buildings trying to make it out alive. Or others that put their own safety aside to helps others get out. No, I just couldn't imagine....

But even through all of the tragedy, my heart swelled as our nation pulled together. In the days that followed, I remember our town was literally painted red, white and blue. It was a patriotic pride that I had never witnessed before! It was a beautiful thing to me. It made me so proud to be an American!

There are moments in life that you will never forget where you were when an event happened. This is that moment for me. I will never forget as long as I live. I will never forget the lives lost. I will never forget the heroes of 9-11. People who put another person's life above their own. I am thankful everyday for our firefighters, first responders, police officers and our military service men and women! God Bless America!!!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it is possible to forget. The moment we KNEW something bad had happened will forever be with us.

    And the feeling of patrioism that came over this nation afterward is also something that I will keep close to my heart forever.

    ReplyDelete